Sunday, February 27, 2005

Being 50 (almost) Now Gives Me the Right to Complain About All My Pet Peeves, or, am I the only one who thinks this is strange?

As my children say, “back in the day,” there was a television commercial that always bothered me. It featured an animated fish, a tuna. to be specific; Charlie Tuna, to be exact. Charlie, for some reason, couldn’t wait to get trapped in a tuna net, chopped up in pieces and stuffed into a can to be sold and consumed by humans. His constant rejection by the tuna cannery seemed to be based on his inability to distinguish himself as a tuna who tasted good, rather than a tuna with good taste. The tagline, “Sorry Charlie” has become embedded in our cliché lexicon.

What bothered me back then was the fact that this potential menu item was a thinking, talking, wisecracking being who seemed willing to sacrifice himself. The fact that he was constantly rejected was the only way I was able to consume canned tuna for a long time. He was the first I can remember in a growing line of singing, dancing food items. My children even had toys depicting living chicken nuggets and a fast food character whose body included a huge hamburger for a head. Am I the only one who feels kind of cannibalistic in consuming these products?

Today, the commercials have taken an especially sadistic turn. I have seen chocolate candies actually bitten by fashion models, with the candy swooning and whispering “love hurts.” Most recently, a person-sized chocolate chip cookie attending a child’s birthday party suddenly finds out there is no birthday cake - you guessed it, the cookie IS the birthday cake.


Maybe I am over thinking things here. Maybe my alternate personality as a horror writer is just running away with things. Or maybe, we are just steps away from the scene from the old sci-fi flick in which it is discovered that the alien’s handbook, “To Serve People” is really a cookbook.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm watching Leave it to Beaver. Remember the old commercials? Those living, breathing, dancing edibles have it all over the 50s commercial venue...LSMFT and the cigarette pack dancing on a pair of gorgeous fishnet gams., the Marlboro man and "Call for Phillip Morris"
Gussie :-)

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Syndicate this site

Sign up to receive my newsletter!