Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Godzilla vs. Rodan

So often these days I feel like I am one of the thousands of citizen extras in an old Japanese monster movie - running like crazy to avoid falling debris. The latest movie I'm in features a fight between two American monsters, the old guard AARP and the new guys on the block, USA Next. Between them they are playing tug-of-war with public sentiment over the future handling of Social Security - while many of us are just running between their feet, trying not to get squished. In fact, that is really the story of my financial life, ducking for cover and avoiding political and economic shrapnel. Do I really understand what they are fighting about? no. Should I, I guess so. After all, as I approach 50, i really should be concerned about what is happening to all my social security dollars that are just waiting for me when I reach my "golden years." The truth is, from Reaganomics to Bushonomics and all the permutations inbetween, I've yet to feel as if I'll ever have the financial security required to retire. In fact, until the Godzillas and Rodans of the world start fighting over how to make this month's income cover next month's bills and still have money to "put away" I'll just keep ducking and running.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Syndicate this site

Sign up to receive my newsletter!